I mentioned yesterday as part of my exercise resolve, that I am doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to start to do some strength training and toning. I had my concerns about committing to doing something every single day for 30 days. I have a regular workout routine of about 3-5 days a week, but rarely do I get a workout in on all 7 days. So, the only time I could be assured I can get it in is...
First thing in the morning. Fuuuuuu...
I have never been a fan of working out in the morning. It always seems like a good idea, but my resolve always dies quickly after it starts. Let's face it. As a mom? I freaking TREASURE my sleep.
1) If I workout in the morning I am done for the day. YAY! Glass of wine at dinner tonight!
And... that's all I can think of for pros.
1) I am hungry as hell when I first wake up. If I eat before I workout, I'll get cramps. If I wait, I don't feel right either. I can't win!
2) 4:50a is fucking early yo. Even the dog gave me her "fuck you" look, curled up and went back to sleep.
3) I am just non-functioning in the morning until I take a shower. Trying to do something that requires coordination at 4:50am? Not a good scenario for Jo.
4) It doesn't wake me up or fire me up at all. In fact, I'm even more tired than ever.
5) If it is an awesome workout, I will feel sore and miserable the entire rest of the day.
I'm sure I can think of more cons, but those are my top 5.
Now, before you think I'm a pouty pants, this is all based on today being my first day of getting up before humans should ever be awake. If I am going to stick to the Shred, I have to get up before work to get it done. There is really no other option and I'm not going to give up my evening runs for this (and I don't recommend trying to do the Shred and a 10K training program back to back. My body is really, really pissed off at me today for trying that approach).
I'm sure I will tell you more about the 30 Day Shred as the month goes on, but hear me now... it is not for the weak. After the first night, my cocky mouth called it a piece of cake. On day 3? I kind of want to punch Jillian in the face. My level of sore is absolutely astronomical. Please god. Tell me this gets better! My abs and ass better be fucking ripped by the end of 30 days or I may break down and cry. To give you an idea of how hardcore this program is, my husband threw out his back doing his day 3 today. I'm sure Jillian would not be please as she preaches throughout the entire 20 minutes about how to avoid injury.
I may have to fire up the jacuzzi later tonight to soothe my aching muscles! I wonder if it even works...